Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Meeting my first WWOOF host, Sally



I was the first WWOOFer of the New Year at Sally’s Place and she had racked up quite the list of jobs to do. I arrived in Dunmanway square, almost an hour early, due to my coach driver’s concerning laid back attitude to the speed limit. But it was a sunny day and I found a bench to park my bum and wait. What could go wrong?
  
 
In my first ten minutes of waiting, I was treated to bipolar weather. One moment it was perfect sunshine, the next, it poured down! Within a few minutes it was back to a clear sunny day and this process repeated for the next half hour. But as the time ticked by and went through the stages of drying out and getting drenched again, I decided I should probably let Sally know I had arrived early.


I hadn’t bothered getting an Irish sim card for my phone, (what could I possibly need that for?) So my UK phone was utterly useless for anything besides tossing it up in the air and hoping she spots it from a distance. I resorted to paying €2.00 to use a payphone to let her know I was there safe and that I would be huddled under a shop canopy, hiding from the rain. Ten minutes and another four downpours later, there she was.


 

Every bit the country lover, Sally wore a practical rainproof hat and boots, her hair twisted into a top knot on her head and a warm, welcoming smile that instantly put this nervous traveler at ease; (She doesn’t look like the murderous type at all, what a relief!)

No comments:

Post a Comment