Monday, 23 January 2017

The Pros & Cons of House Sitting Abroad.


  The brilliance of house/pet sitting means that often you can afford to stay in a location for much longer than if you were paying out for a hotel. This means that rather than just squeezing in all the main tourist attractions into a few short weeks, you can take your time to notice and explore the smaller things that the town has to offer.
  But like any budget friendly mode of travel, it does have some draw backs, so based on my experience so far using the site, here are the pros and cons of Trusted House Sitter.com;

Pet companion-
I have grown up around animals my whole life, (in fact I tend to enjoy the company of animals more than most people,) and after the recent passing of my cat after 15 years together, I find myself craving the company of animals more and more. Travelling solo can get pretty lonely and so this is a wonderful solution for those who like a furry companion whilst on holiday.

  Even though I was in this glorious destination, I still needed to get work done, so I would spend a fair bit of time in the house. Having a pet, or in my case 6 pets to warm my lap and keep me company whilst I wrote, edited and answered emails was a wonderful bonus to the holiday. I really do think a pet makes a house a home and having my furry friends with me really helped make me feel at home in Greece.


Responsibilities-
With an animal or a full house of them in your charge also comes the responsibility of ensuring you are there for them when needed. Trusted house sitters is not supposed to be used as a hotel where you simply sleep in the property but then spend all of the day out and about. Pets will need feeding, cleaning up after, exercise, companionship and play- if you are unwilling to put the animals in your care first then this probably isn’t the system for you.

Snowy, the very clever dog I was minding in Corfu began to dig under the property fence and escape whenever I tried to leave the house; this meant that she had to be put on a long chain on a slack line across the garden. This seemed like an extreme measure, however, stray dogs are a big problem in Greece and she may have been in danger if she were allowed to run around outside of the fence. I didn’t like to leave her like that for too long so I would cut my trips out short. Had I known Snowy would be safe without the need to be on the chain, I may have taken longer journeys across the island to explore further, but then there’s always next time!


Come & Go as you please-
With that said, there are many different types of house sit listed on the site; some without any animals at all or some with more low maintenance animals like outdoor cats. There are also no hotel or hostel curfews, late check out fees or early knocks on your door for housekeeping. Taking into account the pets usual schedule and needs, you are your own boss of your trip.

My house sit in Corfu involved 5 cats and 1 dog, and although they had set dinner and breakfast times, the dog did not need walks as the property was large enough that she could get sufficient exercise in the garden.
   

You might need a car-
Looking through the website, many of the listings mention that you would need a car to stay in their location. This might be great if you live in the area, but if you are flying in from another country like I did, this could be a real issue.

The village that I was staying in was called Afra, and was a beautiful, peaceful place full of charm. It was however, too far away from any supermarkets to just walk there. Fortunately there was a very affordable bus system to take me into town, but the skaty bus schedule teamed with my poor sense of direction and my need to return in time to feed the pets often played havoc with day plans.


Local knowledge & Tips-
Any chance I have to make friends whilst abroad I take. As the home and pet owners are trusting you with beloved members of their family, often they will try to get to know you better via Skype or a few days together before they need to leave. This allows you to get super helpful knowledge about the area as well as possibly make a really great friend.

  I had the added bonus of having a truly wonderful host family as Miri frequently recommended attractions and trips to me, as well as being incredibly helpful with questions about the buses and how to get around efficiently. On the day I arrived, she treated me to lunch and dinner out and I found out a lot about Corfu and why she fell in love with the place.


It’s a home not a hotel-
It’s important to remember that even though you may be on holiday, you are in someone else’s home, not a hotel, so cleaning up after yourself is a must. Respect for your hosts property and privacy is expected when you sign up for the site and a bad review as a result of neglecting this could mean you are banned for using the site in the future.

Watering the plants and keeping the kitchen tidy was easy for me, yet the house was down a rural dirt road which meant that thick dust was often covering surfaces in the house at an alarming rate. A little extra attention to cleaning wasn’t too much trouble but I hadn’t really noticed it until about my second week there.


The support of a neighbourhood-
This is one of the best pros that this system may offer; Miri, (my host,) had asked her friends and neighbours to offer their help should I need it. Not only did they offer advice and lifts but also frequently invited me out to coffee and lunch throughout my stay. This was so welcoming and an unexpected perk of house sitters as I felt I really did make some lovely friends. Whilst staying in a hostel in your 20’s can be a great way of making friends, staying in a hotel in your 30’s or 40’s may not provide the same opportunities to meet new people. It should be noted that not every house sit will be able to offer this sort of support, but for the ones that do I really recommend getting to know the people around you.


  Above all, I really do think the biggest win with using Trusted House Sitters.com is the amount of money you can save. I managed to stay in a beautiful, comfortable house with WIFI, TV and fully functional kitchen in a luxury holiday location of Corfu. I got to stay there for free for five whole weeks, not to mention the invaluable advice I received from Miri as well as a fully stocked fridge that she was kind enough to fill. This trip could have easily been in the thousand pounds mark, but I only spent a couple of hundred on my flight, food, souvenirs and activities. 

Budget Travel Friendly: 9/10

Share this post with someone you think might like Trusted House Sitters.



No comments:

Post a Comment