Flying is
stressful. It’s crowded, manic and … expensive. As a budget traveller, I always
make it my mission to seek out the cheapest flights, but that doesn’t always
mean the best quality. So if I find an affordable airline who do a great job
and impress me then just like Andy had in Woody; you gotta friend in me, and if that airline give its customers
great freebies on top of a great service then honey, you got yourselves a full
blown fan girl in me!
Introducing my new favourite airline KLM, Royal
Dutch Airlines. This last week I had two flights, one from England to Amsterdam
and then on to Helsinki, Finland, all with KLM.
Unfortunately my introduction to air travel
was pretty chaotic. My flight with Easy Jet was delayed by an hour, due to a disgruntled
passenger having a fight with the crew, (not a United Airlines type fight, this
one was purely verbal!) The couple next to me got steadily drunk and began a tongue
Olympics right in front of me and the only food offered were extremely
overpriced toasted sandwiches that took almost the entire length of the flight
to be given to those who had ordered them.
As this was my first flight and I had limited
knowledge of other’s experiences, I assumed that this was the norm, that any
flight I would have would be equally as frustrating and stressful. I LOVE it
when someone proves me wrong! Not only was my flight with KLM on time, but the
staff were genuinely very friendly and accommodating as we boarded. I was
greeted in both English and Dutch, (I always value multilingual staff who go
out of their way to make sure that everyone can understand what’s going on,)
and kept informed by the pilot as to when we could expect to take off and land.
Everything was very calm, controlled and
friendly, exactly the type of atmosphere you want when taking a massive metal
structure through the air at break neck heights, with possible terrorists
hiding in any seat! If it wasn’t obvious,
I still get a bit nervous when flying, and so creating a professional and calm
cabin is something I really appreciate.
If the atmosphere didn’t do the trick, then
the free food really chilled me out! A trolley came down the aisle and handed
everyone a little cardboard box with a cute little illustration of Amsterdam on
it; inside was a pot of cold water and a slice of cake in a packet. I’m sure
most of you know that plane food, normally, is utter ass, but this little cake
was moist, caramel goodness… and free!
We landed safely in Amsterdam and I set off
to locate my next flight to Helsinki. Still impressed from a little free snack,
I wasn’t expecting anything from my next flight except the same polite and
friendly treatment, but this time was even better! The staff spoke both
English, Dutch and Finnish and, to my delight, brought us even more free food!
I was offered free drinks, both soft and alcoholic, (which was crazy to me as you
have to pay for alcohol everywhere!) as well as a delicious hot meal of vegetarian
pasta, complete with my complimentary coke. It really was tasty and the
vegetarian aspect was a huge plus in my books, some restaurants where I’m from
still don’t even have a veggie option yet. Just when I thought my free gravy
train had ended, KLM put the icing on the cake, which was actually another
cake; this time a tiny muffin topped with milk chocolate.
I am aware that many of you reading this may
be used to free food on planes, however, as a budget traveller, I am used to
dirt under my nails, sleeping rough and eating value meals under £5 that can’t
make the claim to not contain horse meat. I sacrifice some comforts in order to
save myself money whilst travelling the world. This is why a return flight that
cost no more than £175 / $225.80 / €200.81 impressed the hell outta me with its
high standards and customer experience.
I am going
to really enjoy my three weeks in Helsinki and will be posting many blogs and
vlogs on my adventures here, although, I must admit, there is a part of me now
that’s seriously looking forward to the flight home… and that free cake!
This blog
post was not sponsored and all thoughts and opinions stated are my own and
based on my own experiences. Tell me about your best flight? Have you had any
experience with KLM airlines? Let me know in the comments below and share this
post with anyone looking for value for
money in air travel. x
For more on
KLM visit their website here: https://www.klm.com/home/gb/en
Booked
through Go to Gate: http://www.gotogate.co.uk/flights



No comments:
Post a Comment